Project Manager General Food Distribution
Job title: Project Manager General Food Distribution – National Position
Employment category: F
Reporting to: Area Manager
Direct reports: Team Leaders, Officer, Information Management Officers/Assistants
Unit/department: General Food Distribution (GFD)
Location: Kibondo (Nduta camp),
Authorization level: -USD:10,000
Programme Management and Coordination
• Be the responsible and accountable manager for the high-quality delivery of the food assistance programme.
• Provide management supervision and oversight to the all DRC staff involved in the food assistance programme at the field level.
• Manage and track food assistance programming, budget, and assets at the field level.
• Work hand in hand with the MEAL department to develop monitoring plans for all food assistance and complementary activities (Gender & Protection, disability inclusion) in the field and ensure that regular and rigorous monitoring takes place during implementation.
• Track major trends and developments and take action to ensure projects objectives are accomplished.
• Participate in the recruitment of staff that has the required knowledge, skill, and abilities to meet DRC food assistance programming standards.
• Participate in project proposal design, budget development, and drafting/review of agreements with assistance and guidance from the area manager.
• Provide technical oversight through periodic visits to all FDPs, monitor and review all aspects of the food programming and systems as well as provide appropriate feedback and recommendation to the GFD project staff .
• Conduct unscheduled and scheduled field visits to all FDPs to observe the distribution and check compliance with set standards.
• Conduct on-spot training to correct any anomalies detected.
• Integration of other sectors in food programming i.e., MEAL, Gender, Protection, and disability inclusion.
• Ensure timely and accurate reports including daily distribution, monthly, quarterly, end-year reports, distribution summary, etc., which reflect the true picture of the food assistance project in the Nduta camp, are prepared and submitted to Grants and quality assurance coordinator as per agreed timelines.
• Work hand in hand with Finance to ensure that donor invoices are accurate, submitted on time, and that any issues arising are addressed promptly.
• Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability.
• Develop and implement a staff capacity-building plan on areas of commodity management, food distribution, and hygiene sensitization to meet established standards
through on job training, workshops, conferences, and any other appropriate methods.
• Identify other training needs during the appraisal process and liaise with senior Management to develop strategies for capacity building.
• Develop and maintain an updated succession plan for the team that can be utilized whenever opportunities arise.
• Implement staff performance management strategy.
• Develop a leave management plan and oversee its implementation to ensure staff exercise life-work balance.
• Ensure incentive worker payments are processed on time and payments made promptly.
• Cultivate a culture of high performance as per the DRC core competencies spectrum.
Coordination and networking
• Organize staff meetings to discuss project implementation as well as challenges, successes, and solutions.
• Organize and document monthly management meetings
• Participate in partner coordination meetings with donors and other stakeholders. (UNHCR, OPM, WFP, and other Partners).
• Consolidate feedback and action points from different camp meetings for DRC management response and action.
• Organize quarterly performance meetings with the donor to identify gaps and compliance.
Administration & budget management
• Overall supervision of logistics/Project fleet ensuring timely maintenance and service of the fleet in coordination with the support services department.
• Review and approve purchase requests to ensure costs are properly apportioned.
• Maintain asset register and inventory management for the project.
• Develop and oversee the implementation of the project procurement plan.
• In charge of the budget, planning, monitoring, review to ensure the project is delivered on time and on a budget in consultation with the Area Manager.
• Conduct monthly finance review meetings to ensure project costs are accurate and acceptable.
• Approval of expenditure within DRC levels of authority.
• Ensure all compliance issues are addressed within acceptable timeframes
Experience and technical competencies:
• 3-5 years’ experience, preferable with a (I)NGO or UN agency, in food commodities handling, tracking and accounting.
• Knowledge of DRC, donor regulations about relief food commodities tracking accounting and reporting.
• This position requires a person who is a self-motivated, who can accomplish the task with minimal supervision. He/she should be able to manage a team of staff as well as cooperate with other units. He/she must be keen on details and a well-organized individual.
• Good understanding of writing project proposals, budget management, financial management, and Report writing.
• English fluency is a must
• Swahili fluency is a must
• Kirundi will be an asset
• Area Manager, Finance Manager, Grants Coordinator, Support Services Manager
• A Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or development.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for the position
Core competencies Basic Advanced Expert
Striving for excellence ☐ x ☐
Collaborating ☐ ☐ X
Taking the lead ☐ ☐ X
Communicating ☐ ☐ X
Demonstrating integrity ☐ ☐ X
•Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from others
•Advanced: I can work independently at a fully professional level.
•Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development